Military Family Relief Assistance Program
At the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA), we understand that there are times when unforeseen circumstances pose a financial challenge to servicemembers and their family. To help alleviate some of the financial burden in these instances, the DMVA provides grants through the Pennsylvania Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP). The amount of a grant is based on documented financial need up to a maximum of $3,500. Those eligible for an MFRAP grant will not be asked to pay any of it back.
Examples of financial need include:
- A sudden or unexpected loss of income, real or personal property, assets or support, directly related to military service, or exigent circumstances affecting, the service member
- An emergency need for childcare for which the applicant lacks financial resources
- A natural or man-made disaster resulting in a need for food, shelter or other necessities
- The death or critical illness of a parent, spouse, sibling or child resulting in immediate need for travel, lodging or subsistence for which the applicant lacks financial resources. Servicemembers serving in OCONUS locations must seek assistance through military channels for emergency travel prior to submitting for assistance from PA MFRAP. A statement from the servicemember's command (lieutenant colonel or higher) that such assistance is not available, and why, will be required with each application.
- Exigent circumstances – emergency or extraordinary situations or conditions resulting in an eligible servicemember being unable to provide the necessities of living for the member or the member’s dependents due to factors beyond the member’s control. The term includes, but not limited to, natural or manmade disasters, loss of home, loss of employment, disability or serious illness or injury.
MFRAP is available to eligible Pennsylvania residents who…
Application forms for MFRAP are available online below; or from DMVA, MFRAP, Bldg. 9-26, FTIG, Annville, PA 17003-5002 or from PNG Family Assistance Centers.
Applications, with supporting documents, must be mailed to:
DMVA, MFRAP, Building 9-26, FTIG, Annville, PA 17003-5002. To expedite the application process, applications and supporting documents may be faxed to the MFRAP office (FAX Number: 717-861-9084).
Each application will be reviewed for eligibility and need prior to submission to the PA MFRAP Fund Committee for approval or disapproval. No application is automatically approved. Applications could be processed in as little as 48 hours. This is a financial grant to help you and your family.
You can make a direct donation to the fund by sending a check, made payable to MFRAP, and forward it to:
PA Military Family Relief Assistance Program, Bldg. 9-26, Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003-5002. In addition, Pennsylvania taxpayers can use their tax refunds to make a gift to MFRAP. Just check the appropriate box on your Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Return. Your tax-deductible gift will help members of the Armed Forces (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Space Guardians, Coast Guardsmen) and their families. MFRAP is supported entirely by donations and 100% of all monies donated to the fund will be used exclusively for relief assistance payments. For more information, email: email@example.com, or call (Toll-free): 1-866-292-7201, or 717-861-8910.
Additional Information (PDF Files):
MFRAP Frequently Asked Questions