Begin Main Content Area

Records Request Program

This page contains information on the types of military service records and where to find them.

The DD214 provides the member and the branch of service with a concise record of a period of time with the Armed Forces at the time of the member’s separation, discharge, or change in military status.  In addition, the form is an authoritative source of information for both governmental agencies and the Armed Forces for purposes of employment, benefit and reenlistment data.  (A DD215 is used to correct any errors or additions to the DD214 discovered after the original has been delivered/distributed.)

Members of the National Guard will have the NGB22 form as their discharge document and the NGB23 form is the retirement points statement, which may also be needed.

If you do not currently have a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge Document (DD214, NGB22, etc.) now is the time to obtain it before you need it.  Documents as important as these should be kept in a safe place.  We highly recommend that veterans record their discharge documents with their County Courthouse so they are able to obtain free certified copies for the remainder of their life, in addition to being accessible to next-of-kin (defined as a surviving spouse, father, mother, son, daughter, sister or brother) upon the veterans death.

How to Request Records

Discharged veterans from 2010-present can access their own digital records by setting up an account through the benefits portal at:

If you have been discharged from military service prior to 2010, with no remaining service obligation, your Personnel Files are most likely stored at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).  To request information maintained in a personnel file, a veteran, or their next-of-kin, can complete the Standard Form 180, which includes mailing instructions on the last page.  You can also visit the National Archives site at to submit a signed form electronically.  

Pennsylvania National Guard Records

Individuals who have retired or separated from the PA National Guard in the last year may request service documents, to include copies of their NGB22 and NGB23 by submitting a FORM 2, G1-MPM-SS Records Request to Retirement Services.  FAX completed requests to 717-861-9643, or mail to:

PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
ATTN: G1-MPM-SS (Retirement Services)
Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003-5002

*National Guard retirement benefit questions should be directed to the Retirement Services office at 717-861-9430.

The Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard maintain a state file of service from 1955-2009.  Information from these state files vary, but should include records of enlistment and discharge documents, among other forms.  A veteran, or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, can obtain copies of available information if the discharge year is known by downloading and filling out a MA-VA 90 Records Request form and emailing to or by mailing to:

PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
ATTN: Office of Veterans Affairs, Records Requests (Insert Army or Air)
Bldg. 0-47, Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003

Information on PA National Guard discharges prior to 1955 must be requested directly from the Pennsylvania State Archives (, who maintains evidence of service for PA military units dating from 1775-1985.  They also maintain records of state war bonuses that were paid to service members of the WWI, Korean, WWII, and Vietnam Wars.

*Questions about National Guard records can be directed to the Office of Veterans Affairs at 717-861-8910, option 2

Service Medical Records

You can also locate your Service Medical Records.

If you had an overnight stay in a military treatment facility while on active duty, a clinical record of that treatment most likely exists and may be available.  Review the rules and procedures for requesting Clinical Records.

Veterans who plan to file a claim for benefits with the USDVA do not need to request copies of Service Medical Records.  The VA will obtain these if not already in their possession.