Begin Main Content Area

‚ÄčEducational Gratuity Program

Through our programs and services, the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) is committed to caring for the families of servicemembers who served our nation and defended America's borders. The Educational Gratuity Program helps the DMVA to meet that commitment. The Educational Gratuity Program provides financial assistance to children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during periods of war  or armed conflict, or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict.

Eligible veterans must have died in service during a period of war or armed conflict or be a veteran who has

  • An Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Served during established wartime service dates as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • A 100% permanent and total service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Children of eligible veterans must be between the ages of 16 and 23, living within the Commonwealth five years prior to application and must attend a school within the Commonwealth. Any applicant must have a financial need. Payment will not exceed $500 per term or semester per qualified child to each approved educational institution upon submission by that approved educational institution of proof of matriculation of the applicant. Educational gratuity payments are paid directly to the Educational Institution and may not be made for longer than four scholastic years (eight payments).

To apply, eligible applicants should contact the County Director of Veterans Affairs in the county they reside. It is important to have the following documents when applying:

  • A copy of last military service DD214 or Military Death Certificate of the sponsoring veteran 
  • A copy of birth certificate of applicant 
  • Proof of identification (driver's license, voter registration, etc.) 
  • Proof of Pennsylvania residency for last five (5) years

For more information about the Educational Gratuity Program, contact the DMVA at: (Please do not send completed applications or personally identifiable information over e-mail).

The following decorations can also be used to establish wartime service

  • Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
  • Navy Expeditionary Medal
  • Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal