Begin Main Content Area

​Veterans Temporary Assistance

The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) recognizes that sometimes unforeseen circumstances cause financial burden on veterans and their families. To help veterans falling on challenging times, the DMVA administers the Veterans Temporary Assistance (VTA) Program. 

The VTA provides temporary financial assistance of up to $1,600 in a 12-month period to veterans or their surviving spouses who reside in Pennsylvania for the necessities of life (food, shelter, fuel and clothing).

To be eligible, veterans must

  • Have served in the Armed Forces of the United States
  • Have been discharged under honorable conditions after a period of active duty, other than active duty for training, as evidenced by a DD Form 214 or other official documentation, or
  • Have died in service or been killed in action, or
  • Have suffered a service-connected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Be a bona fide resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
To qualify for VTA, a veteran or the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran must be temporarily unable to provide the necessities of living and have a direct and immediate need for assistance. The assistance must be essential and not for the relief of an inconvenience, or the purchase of goods or services other than necessities of living, and have unforeseen circumstances caused by temporary loss of income, assets or support due to sickness, disability, unemployment, natural or manmade disaster or other cause beyond the control of, and not because of misconduct by the applicant or, caused by a temporary increase in costs or expenses beyond the control of, and not because of misconduct by the applicant resulting in insufficient funds to pay for necessities of living. Recipient may not be receiving sufficient monetary assistance from any state or federal agency based on the need for temporary assistance described in the application. (Applicants may be receiving food stamps and still qualify for VTA.)

The following are mandatory documents needed to apply for a VTA grant

  • Veteran’s DD Form 214 or Report of Separation from active military service
  • A copy of the applicant’s marriage license and veteran’s death certificate for widows and widowers
  • A copy of a birth certificate of the veteran’s dependent children and if applicable, a copy of court orders indicating payment of child support
  • Proof of Pennsylvania residency
  • Proof of loss of employment, if applicable, including the applicant’s termination notice from employment and last pay slip
  • Proof of all other benefits such as unemployment compensation, education benefits, disability compensation/pension, social security, other pensions, union benefits, workman’s compensation or insurance benefits
  • Proof of lack of other income, including employment pay and allowances, annual or sick leave, income from rental property, savings, financial assistance provided by family and friends, interest and dividends
  • Proof of expenses (i.e., shelter, clothing, health care, child support, essential furnishings, utilities, transportation, communication, food, laundry and personal care)
  • Receipts indicating current mortgage, rent and all utility payments claimed
Veterans interested in applying for a VTA grant should contact their County Director of Veterans Affairs in the county you reside.

For more information about the VTA Program, contact the DMVA at: (Please do not send completed applications or personally identifiable information over e-mail).