Educational Gratuity Program
Educational Gratuity program provides financial assistance to children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during a period of war (PDF) or armed conflict or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict.
Veteran’s eligibility criteria:
- Died in service during a period of war or armed conflict or,
- A veteran who has:
- An Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces
- Served during established war service dates as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. **The following decorations can also be used to establish wartime service: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or Navy Expeditionary Medal
- Veteran must have a 100% permanent and total service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Child’s eligibility criteria:
- Must be between the ages of 16 and 23, living within the Commonwealth five years prior to application and must attend a school within the Commonwealth.
- Applicant must have a financial need.
Payments: Payment will not exceed $500.00 per term or semester per qualified child to each approved educational institution upon submission by that approved educational institution of proof of matriculation of the applicant. Educational gratuity payments are paid directly to the Educational Institution and may not be made for longer than 4 scholastic years.
Where to apply?
Contact the County Veterans Affairs Director in the county you reside to apply for this program.
What documentation is needed to apply?
- Need a copy of last military service DD214 or Military Death Certificate of the sponsoring veteran
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant
- Proof of identification (driver’s license, voter registration, etc.)
- Proof of Pennsylvania residency for last five (5) years
Contact: Rafirstname.lastname@example.org (Please do not send completed applications or personally identifiable information over e-mail.)